Trufant family loses house in fire


By Elisabeth Waldon • Last Updated 4:59 pm on Wednesday, September 07, 2011

MAPLE VALLEY TOWNSHIP — A couple and their newborn baby escaped from an early morning fire in their home Saturday.
Maple Valley Township Fire Chief Dan Kain said firefighters responded to 1597 N. Cody Lake Road at 12:15 a.m.
Jerry Throup and his wife had gone to bed when they smelled burning plastic. They safely exited the house with their newborn baby and called 911.
The family could not be reached for comment this morning.
Kain said the fire likely started from a bathroom exhaust fan. The fire burned up into the attic.
“It’s a 100 percent loss,” said Kain of the home.
The Lakeview District Fire Department responded as automatic mutual aid. Kain also called in the Spencer Township Fire Department and then the Sand Lake Fire Department for assistance.
“It was hot and humid,” Kain said. “I needed more manpower.”
Firefighters used approximately 38,000 gallons of water to extinguish the fire. They cleared the scene at 7:30 a.m.
Kain said he and his firefighters then went directly to the barbecue pit in Trufant and cooked 700 chickens for the annual Trufant Jubilee.

About the Author
Follow Us
Rate this Article
VN:R_U [1.9.10_1130]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)