Mennonite barn slightly damaged by fire


By Daily News • Last Updated 7:45 pm on Thursday, September 22, 2011

Daily News/Jessica Dudenhofer Sheridan Community Fire Department Assistant Fire Chief Ed Lingeman checks for hotspots in the pole barn at 4583 E. Carson City Road after a chimney fire started behind a wood stove in the building.

Daily News/Jessica Dudenhofer Sheridan Community Fire Department Assistant Fire Chief Ed Lingeman checks for hotspots in the pole barn at 4583 E. Carson City Road after a chimney fire started behind a wood stove in the building.

BUSHNELL TOWNSHIP – Firefighters saved most of a Mennonite family’s workshop after a small chimney fire on Wednesday afternoon.

The Sheridan Community Fire Department responded to 4583 E. Carson City Road (M-57) at about 3:30 p.m.

Firefighters said the family was using a woodstove to make applesauce inside a small pole barn when a fire ignited in the chimney. The fire spread to a wall before firefighters contained it.

The family had a collection of buggies in the structure that were not damaged.

Sheridan firefighters called for assistance from the Carson City Fire Department shortly after responding to the call. However, Carson City firefighters did not answer three pages from Montcalm County Central Dispatch and did not respond.

Sheridan firefighters eventually canceled Carson City firefighters after the blaze was under control.

A Montcalm County Central Dispatch supervisor confirmed that she spoke to Carson City Fire Chief Dan Kipp after the incident, but she declined to discuss why the fire department did not respond to the pages.

Kipp could not be reached for comment. A message left at the Carson City fire station was not returned.

Follow Us
Rate this Article
VN:R_U [1.9.10_1130]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)