Few developments 2 days after robbery

By Elisabeth Waldon • Last Updated 2:56 pm on Tuesday, November 15, 2011

From left to right, Montcalm County Sheriff’s Sgt. Mike Williams, Greenville Department of Public Safety (GDPS) Sgt. Randy Elzinga, Sheriff’s Deputy Benjamin Fryc, Undersheriff Mark Bellinger, GDPS Officer Wayne Dillon, GDPS Director Mike Stuck (in back) and two unidentified officers convene Wednesday morning after an armed robbery at the Huntington Bank in downtown Greenville.

GREENVILLE — Police released little new information Thursday about the investigation into an armed robbery at Huntington Bank in downtown Greenville.
Greenville Department of Public Safety Director Mike Stuck said the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) office in Grand Rapids now is in charge of the case. Local authorities are assisting FBI agents.
“At this time we do not have anything new,” Stuck told The Daily News on Thursday. “We are still investigating and checking leads. We will let you know when we have additional information available.”
An FBI spokesman did not return a message seeking comment on Thursday.
The bank branch at 203 S. Lafayette St. reopened on Thursday for its normal operating hours.
Michael Lindley, senior vice president of marketing for Huntington Bank in Grand Rapids, said he can’t provide any details about the robbery.
“We can’t comment at all on the situation or the procedures,” he said.
Police were notified of the robbery Wednesday morning when a holdup alarm activated in the bank. The alarm monitoring company called Montcalm County Central Dispatch in Stanton moments later to say there was a robbery taking place.
Stuck said a man walked into the bank and showed a gun to tellers before making off with an undisclosed amount of money. No injuries were reported.
Police describe the suspect as a white male about 6 feet tall and 180 pounds. He was wearing light jeans, a black and white plaid jacket, a blue glove and a gray glove and blue ski mask with a winter hat that covers his ears.
The man allegedly left the scene on foot, heading east, cutting through an alley and running into the residential neighborhood east of the downtown area before police lost sight of him.
The Greenville Department of Public Safety was the first to respond to the scene. They were assisted by the Montcalm County Sheriff’s Office, the Michigan State Police and the FBI.

About the Author
Follow Us
Rate this Article
VN:R_U [1.9.10_1130]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)