Pellet stove causes Lakeview house fire


By Elisabeth Waldon • Last Updated 11:36 am on Tuesday, December 13, 2011

HINTON TOWNSHIP — A Lakeview-area home was severely damaged in a Saturday morning fire caused by a pellet stove.

The Lakeview District Fire Department responded to a reported deck fire at 11494 Eisenhower Road at 7:45 a.m.

According to Fire Chief Patrick Q. Carr, a pellet stove with a vent going through a wall started the fire at the home of Bernadene Wright.

Wright’s two sons, Chuck Wright and Mike Wright, are both firefighters and both live nearby. Chuck is on the Lakeview District Fire Department, while Mike is on the Maple Valley Township Fire Department.

Maple Valley was called in to assist as part of an automatic mutual aid agreement for all structure fires.

Carr said the wall was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived. They managed to extinguish the flames before the fire spread any farther. The house lost a wall and sustained smoke damage.

“Way more damage than anybody would want to have, obviously, but not a total loss,” Carr said.

Firefighters cleared the scene around 11 a.m.

Bernadene Wright and her sons could not be reached for comment.

About the Author
Follow Us
Rate this Article
VN:R_U [1.9.10_1130]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)