Name of board: Vestaburg Community Schools
Meeting date: Dec. 12.
Reporting official: Recording Secretary Karen Grover.
1. Approved the agenda as presented.
2. Approved minutes from the regular and special Nov. 14 meetings.
3. Approved paying the bills.
4. Approved the consent agenda, including a 30-day medical leave for high school English teacher Beverly Stratton, the resignation of preschool paraprofessional Rosie Davis, the hiring of Hal Clark and Kurt Peasley as middle school girls basketball coaches and Kim Whitney as update advisor.
5. Approved adopting NEOLA policies as presented.
6. Approved a National Honor Society educational trip to New York City after a presentation by High School Principal Brandon Hubbard.
7. Approved the Links Program for credit to help students with autism after a presentation by Hubbard and Montcalm Area Intermediate School District teacher consultant Ruthann Thayer. Jon King and Jacob Young were presented with certificates for their work in the program. Vestaburg has 26 students involved in this program.
8. Approved moving forward with the 1 to 1 computer program for 2012-2013 after a presentation by Superintendent Jeff Beal, including purchasing computer tablets through a lease program for $35,000 ($15,000 of which will be covered by a grant).
9. Approved paying Athletic Director Matt Walderzak as an 80 percent teacher for 2011-2012. Last year Walderzak was 60 percent teacher and 40 percent athletic director. This year he is 80 percent teacher and 40 percent athletic director.
10. Entered executive session at 8:03 p.m. Exited executive session at 8:30 p.m. Approved a settlement agreement between Vestaburg Community School and a teacher hired on Dec. 13, 1999.
1. School Board President Lynn Van Sickler thanked Ms. Smith and everyone involved in the music programs.
2. Beal reported on food service and the number of meals served between last year and this year.
3. Ms. Vissman introduced the elementary student council.
4. Ms. Berry’s fifth grade class presented Native American projects.
5. Reviewed the school board policy.
6. Discussed employee actions at school-sponsored events.
7. Walderzak reported on proper communication between parents and coaches and presented a form as a guideline for coaches to use in parent meetings before the season starts.
8. Beal reported on anti-bullying legislation.
9. Barb Alexander thanked the school board for their time and work and noted whether you are a teacher, support staff or board member you should always represent yourself professionally.
Members present: President Lynn Van Sickler, Vice President Ivan Palmer, Secretary Bruce Keyes, Treasurer Dave Freeman and trustees Mike Drumm, Tom McNerney and Dan Ryckman.
Next meeting: 7 p.m. Jan. 9 at Vestaburg High School.
For more information: Call Vestaburg Community School at (989) 268-5353.