Name of board: Winfield Township Board.
Meeting date: Dec. 8.
Reporting official: Clerk Colleen Stebbins.
1. Approved the agenda.
2. Approved the clerk’s report as read.
3. Approved the treasurer’s report, including $20,920 for the fire department, $33,908.03 for the municipal fund, $7,221.07 for the tax account and $88,596.85 for the general fund for a total of $150,645.95 with interest of about $59.
4. Approved allowing Treasurer Cathy Killinger to purchase stamps and envelopes at a cost of up to $1,000.
5. Approved retaining Amble Fire Chief Bill Knapp, even though he is moving out of the township. Approved appointing Gregg Schuitema as assistant fire chief, per Knapp’s recommendation.
6. Approved an addition to the open burning ordinance stating a fire in an uncovered burn barrel, campfire or fire pit may not be conducted within 20 feet of any structure that is not on one’s own property, per a recommendation from the Planning Commission after a public hearing.
7. Approved an addition to ordinance section 3.22, subsection B, paragraph 2 stating “except those parcels which were already part of an approved plat shall still be considered separate,” per a recommendation from the Planning Commission.
8. Approved paying bills totaling $7,608.12 with the exception of check No. 9256.
9. Approved paying $1,400 to Tingley & Associates for oak frames and to hold the remainder until maps are completed and approved.
1. Assessor Jeri Strong reported tax bills have been printed and sent out. She is working on lot adjustments, land divisions and a Board of Review meeting. She reported one canceled tax tribunal, one rescheduled tax tribunal and another one in January. Jeri thanked Trustee Dan Kanouse for his help with land divisions and thanked everyone for their patience while she recovered from surgery.
2. Knapp reported one call regarding bad batteries in a fire detector.
3. Kanouse reported Zoning Administrator Dave Kelsey issued one permit for a pole building.
4. The Planning Commission will have a public hearing at 7 p.m. Jan. 23 for community comments on the proposed removal of section 3.14, subsection A, paragraph 2, stating, “Accessory buildings shall not be located in any front yard, unless otherwise permitted by this ordinance,” as well as a proposed amendment to section 3.17, subsection B, paragraph 4, stating, “Seasonal dwellings are permitted within all districts.” The Planning Commission is still working on a township survey for 2012.
5. Supervisor Phyllis Larson reported Tingley & Associates is making corrections to cemetery maps.
6. Larson reported Montcalm County is ditching Seneca Drive to remove standing water.
7. Dave Van Dam asked some zoning questions and Knapp asked about road construction on North County Line Road next year, during public comments.
8. Treasurer Cathy Killinger reported tax bills are out and some have been paid.
9. Clerk Colleen Stebbins will be looking into a new Internet company next year since the township has had no service since Nov. 22.
10. Larson reported a Michigan Townships Association meeting will be in January in Detroit and Reynolds and Winfield townships will host an MTA meeting Jan. 17. The Michigan Department of Transportation will have a five-year planning meeting as well.
Members present: Supervisor Phyllis Larson, Treasurer Cathy Killinger and Trustee Dan Kanouse.
Members absent: Clerk Colleen Stebbins.
Next meeting: 7 p.m. Jan. 12.
For more information: Call Supervisor Phyllis Larson at (231) 762-4342.