FERRIS TOWNSHIP — A shed, pickup truck and other “odds and ends” were lost in a fire Wednesday morning behind The Corner Market convenience store on Stanton Road east of Vickeryville Road.
Property owner Dean Young, whose son manages the store, said he was working in the greenhouse around 7 a.m. behind the store when he heard “crackling” and “little banging” noises coming from outside.
After stepping outside, he discovered smoke emerging from his shed behind the store.
Crystal Township Assistant Fire Chief Scott Brundage said when firefighters arrived on scene the fire was contained within the shed with smoke emerging through the roof and windows. Firefighters extinguished the fire without any complications and no one was injured.
“The shed is a total loss,” Brundage said. “We’re still uncertain what started the fire. It is currently under investigation.”
No other neighboring buildings, including the store or Young’s home, were damaged by the fire.
Young said along with the shed and a 2002 GMC pickup truck, which was parked inside the shed at the time of the fire, he also lost a moped, golf cart and other “odds and ends.”
Young speculated the fire could have been caused by an electrical issue, as the shed did have electricity running to it. He said he also thought the fire could have started in his truck.
Young said despite being just a shed, it held special significance as he built it about 35 years ago.
“That was the first building put on the property,” he said. “We built that before we even built our house or the store. It’s kind of sad, but the fire department did a good job putting out the fire. We’ll probably put another shed up once everything gets settled down.”
The Carson City Fire Department assisted on the scene with mutual aid.