CRYSTAL TOWNSHIP — When it comes to deciding what to do with Crystal Township dock and boat ordinance 15-A , everything seems to revolve around one single question.
“The big question to me is, how are we going to enforce this?” Crystal Township Board Supervisor Charlie Braman asked at Wednesday night’s township board meeting.
The ordinance was previously discussed in detail at a public form on March 28 between board members and local residents. Ideas ranging from abolishing the ordinance and drafting a new ordinance to moving forward without an ordinance altogether were debated at that meeting.
On Wednesday night, the board voted unanimously to send the questions raised from that public hearing to township attorney Clifford Bloom. The board also voted unanimously to have Bloom draft a proper procedure on how to nullify Ordinance 15-A.
In reference to Braman’s question, Clerk Bob Naumann said he was just as curious as to who could enforce the existing ordnance or a new ordinance.
“Regardless of what happens, we are still going to have to wrestle with the idea of who enforces the ordinance,” Naumann said. “If we had zoning then we’d have a zoning administrator and a zoning board of appeals and we’d have all of those things in place to deal with that, but we don’t have zoning.”
Naumann said he was pleased with the results of the March 28 public forum and hopes Clifford will be able to provide answers to the questions that were asked at that gathering.
“I was very pleased to have the amount of people here that we had voicing their concerns,” he said. “It intrigued me, seeing how we had so many different viewpoints on both sides of the issue.”
Naumann said the entire board is of the opinion that ordinance 15-A needs to change in some capacity.
“I really thought the right way to go was to draft a new ordinance,” he said. “While that may not be the way to go, we’re all in agreement as a board that 15-A needs to change.”
Braman made it clear before voting that no official decision on the ordinance issue should be made until a second public forum on the matter occurs.
“I’ve thought about it a lot and one of my concerns is we had a special meeting here and we gave the people our word that we would have another meeting with the public,” he said. “I think we need to have that meeting before an official decision is made.”
The date for the next public forum on the issue wont be known until Bloom responds with answers to the board.