Ember from a stove to blame for Evergreen Township fire


By Kelli Ameling • Last Updated 11:06 am on Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Firefighters look over the area to make sure all the fire has been extinguished. Daily News/Kelli Ameling

STANTON — Only minor damage to a trailer was left after a nearby wooded area caught fire Monday evening.

Stanton Community Fire Department responded to a structure fire at 7 p.m., Monday, at 3900 Pakes Road in Evergreen Township.

Assistant Fire Chief Dawayne Petermen said he believed the fire started after an ember from a wood stove carried into the woods.

“The fire burned back toward the house,” Petermen said.

The fire did make contact with the trailer and left minor damage to the skirting of the trailer.

Firefighters from Home Township Fire Department were close by and able to help put out the fire before Stanton Community Fire Department could respond, Petermen said.

Homeowner Ken Ruterford said everyone was able to get out of the house, including their dogs.

Ruterford has lived at the house for 10 years.

“I have insurance on everything else but this (house),” Ruterford said.

Crystal Township Fire Department also assisted Stanton Community Fire Department.

About the Author
Follow Us
Rate this Article
VN:R_U [1.9.10_1130]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)