The dangers of synthetic drug use are being discussed by more and more people.
We need to keep talking about it.
A Greenville High School student was brought to the hospital last Thursday morning after he became ill from smoking marijuana laced with either “K2” or “Spice,” both types of synthetic drugs commonly known as herbal incense.
The student was only 15 years old. He had smoked early that morning. Later that morning he became disoriented and began vomiting at school.
Thankfully, the student is expected to fully recover, but it could have been much worse.
We first learned about “herbal incense” in February when we researched the topic for a story about the dangers of smoking synthetic drugs. It’s scary stuff and we’re “incensed” at how the product is purposefully being marketed to a younger generation.
In March, about 40 people attended an informative session at Lakeview High School, where law enforcement officials and drug-free coalition members spoke about local drug trends.
A similar event took place a week ago at Greenville High School. Another event will take place at 7 p.m. May 8 at Montabella High School.
We commend local organizations such as the Drug-Free Montcalm Coalition for organizing these events and raising awareness on topics that affect our community.
We’re glad a widespread conversation is taking place about the dangers of drug use. We encourage people to continue talking.
It’s a community conversation well worth having.
Editorial opinions are the consensus of The Daily News editorial board.