REYNOLDS TOWNSHIP — A Howard City-area home burned to the ground Monday morning after a lightning strike from a thunderstorm hit the residence.
According to Howard City Fire Chief Randy Heckman, it is believed a work ladder leading up to the roof of the home helped attract the lightning strike, which occurred around 10 a.m. at 10815 Maple Hill Road north of M-46.
“The home is a complete loss,” Heckman said. “No one was injured in the fire and it took a few hours to completely extinguish the fire.”
The Morley Area Fire Department assisted on scene.
The home’s lone resident, Mark Blodgett, lost everything in the fire. He will be living in his camping unit which was undamaged from the fire.
The Jeweler’s Armoire in Howard City, located next to Leppink’s, is accepting donations on behalf of Blodgett.
Needed items include a battery for his camper, jeans (size 40 waist, 36 length), extra large T-shirts, size 12 shoes and athletic socks to wear with his work boots.