Other MAISD budget revenue and expenditures include
2012-2013 Special Education Fund:
• Revenues: $12,581,8000
• Expenditures: $13,159,347
• Fund balance beginning of year: $1,909.963
• Fund balance end of year: $959,516
2012-2013 Vocational Education Fund:
• Revenues: $2,749,114
• Expenditures: $3,101,170
• Fund balance beginning of year: $1,196,426
• Fund balance end of year: $724,370
STANTON — The Montcalm Area Intermediate School District (MAISD) Board of Eduation approved its proposed budget for the 2012-2013 fiscal year.
However, it is future budgets that seem to worry members of the MAISD Board of Education.
Board Treasurer Mark Christensen said after looking over previous years, budgets in the future are going to become uncomfortable because of funding.
“We have been fairly conservative with our fund balance,” Christensen said. “In about a year or two it’s going to become very unpleasant if something doesn’t change.”
Associate Superintendent of Finance Ron Simon agreed with Christensen and said the budget is realistic, but conservative.
Departments, such as special education, have looked at options to save money whenever possible, Simon said.
“Something we could is amend (the budget) more frequently,” Simon said.
Christensen said he just wanted to make his concern known.
“I know you’re working hard and the whole district is working hard, I just wanted to express my long-term concerns,” he said.
2012-2013 general fund budget assumptions
Simon said the assumptions are critical because it’s what the board is anticipating.
If things change dramatically, the budget will have to be amended.
Some of the items projecting the revenues of the general fund include:
• A projected tax value and tax levy of .1747 mills
• Projected section one funding to remain at $732,200 even though a 5 percent reduction is proposed in the executive budget, which the MAISD can reinstated by meeting the required best practices.
• A constant $656,200 remains with the Great Start Readiness Program, which the budget reflects a 5 percent indirect cost withholding.
• A teach American History Grant totaling $304,330.
The total revenue amount is projected to be $2,585,930.
Some of the items projecting the expenditures of the general fund include:
• Salary and wages are projected to stay the same.
• A Michigan College Access Network local match payment will total $22,500 for LEA counseling services.
• Tech America History Grant expenditures total $304,330.
• The MPSERS retirement rate is budgeted at 27.37 percent.
• Other benefit costs are projected to stay the same.
The total expenditure amount is projected to be $3,179,916.
Simon is projected the general fund balance to have a $743,430 at the beginning of the year.
By the end of the year, the general fund balance is projected to be $617,844.