Howard City kitchen fire causes extensive damage


By Kelli Ameling • Last Updated 10:18 am on Friday, July 27, 2012

HOWARD CITY – A kitchen fire caused extensive damage to a Howard City home on Wednesday, which then rekindled on Thursday.

The Howard City Fire Department responded to a structure fire at 1:57 p.m. Wednesday at 8771 Ferris Blvd.

Assistant Fire Chief Keith Grannis said a woman and her child were outside when a second child came from the house and told them the kitchen was on fire.

“The damage was pretty extensive,” Grannis said.

The fire started around the stove area and caused $40,000 to $50,000 worth of damage. However, Grannis said he does not believe it’s a total loss.

Firefighters were on the scene until about 9 p.m. Wednesday.

On Thursday, the fire department received a call at 9:53 a.m. for a rekindle at the same address.

Grannis explained the house had its heat and air ducts in the ceiling, so when the house caught fire Wednesday it went into the ducts and firefighters had to pull them out to make sure the fire was out. Some of the duct work was smoldering when the house was boarded up Wednesday.

“When it was opened (on Thursday) there was smoke in the house,” Grannis said, noting the reason why they were called for a rekindle.

No one was hurt during either fire.

About the Author
Follow Us
Rate this Article
VN:R_U [1.9.10_1130]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)