Sheridan area home saved after propane tank starts fire


By Cory Smith • Last Updated 11:24 am on Monday, October 01, 2012

FAIRPLAIN TOWNSHIP — Thanks to a quick response by the Sheridan Community Fire Department, a Sheridan area home is still standing after a fire started in a cabinet at the home.

The Sheridan Community Fire Department responded to a fire call at 6:45 p.m. Sunday and was on scene within seven minutes as a home at 9200 S. Collins road showed smoke coming from the roof and vents.

“We were able to get there in time and put it out before it could get any worse,” Sheridan Community Fire Department Chief Doug Lane said. “The fire started in a cabinet, burnt into a wall, and into the utility room. It continued through the wall and up into the second story.”

Clare and Sandy Rendall, the homeowners, were home at the time of the fire.

According to Lane, the fire was started by a propane torch with an electronic igniter that was stored in the cabinet.

“The torch could have possibly been leaking, but she just bought it,” he said. “But I don’t really know at this point. The fire is still under investigation, but the propane torch is definitely what started the fire.”

Lane said the house suffered smoke damage and a few holes from the fire, but nothing more serious.

“Everything just fell in place,” he said. “It was just one of those deals where they noticed it in time, they were home and called in the fire before it got much worse.”

Stanton Community and Ronald Township fire departments, along with Montcalm County EMS, provided assistance on scene.

Lane said 150 gallons of water was used to extinguish the fire.

About the Author
Follow Us
Rate this Article
VN:R_U [1.9.10_1130]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)