By Kelli Ameling and Cory Smith
GREENVILLE — A 75-year-old man and his 15-year-old cat safely made it out of their burning home early Friday morning.
The Greenville Department of Public Safety was dispatched for a structure fire at 12:29 a.m. to 804 Oak St., just west of Maple Street.
Resident Curtis Wright was sleeping when he was awakened by smoke detectors.
“I tried to find what was causing them to go off,” Wright said. “At the time there was not any smoke in the bedroom.”
He looked out the window to see the glow of the fire on his lawn coming from his roof and proceeded to call 911.
“They told me to get out of the house, which I did,” he said.
Wright made it to his neighbor’s house who not only gave him warmer clothes to wear, but a place to sleep and keep warm.
It was almost two hours after the start of the fire before a firefighter located Wright’s cat, Felix, in the basement.
“I was happy,” Wright said of being reunited with Felix, who was also uninjured.
Wright said he had lived at the home for about seven years, and on Thursday, he was adding insulation to the attic of his home.
“It must have been something up there (that caused the fire), but I don’t know,” he said.
Wright noted the fire department made it to his home promptly.
“They were pretty quick,” Wright said.
Greenville Department of Public Safety Director Michael Pousak said it was too early to identify the cause of the fire and exactly how much damage was done to the home.
“It was extensive,” Pousak said of the fire, noting most of the fire was in the roofline of the home.
Pousak was told Wright had lost his wife about a month ago.
The department called for backup and manpower from Belding and Montcalm Township fire departments along with a Lakeview District Fire Department unit to help fill air tanks for the firefighters.