Alarms alert Sheridan homeowner in time to stop possible blaze


By Cory Smith • Last Updated 10:11 am on Monday, October 29, 2012

SHERIDAN — Shelly Fisk was in her yard raking leaves when she heard the smoke alarms from inside her house alerting her of a possible fire in her home.

After walking into a house full of smoke at 1141 Beardslee Road, she dialed 911 and within minutes the Sheridan Community Fire Department was on scene and quickly extinguished the fire.

“Had she not been home and not had alarms, (the fire) could have got going a lot better than it did,” Sheridan Community Fire Chief Doug Lane said.

According to Lane, the fire started in the kitchen of the home and is believed to caused by an electrical issue with an appliance.

“Right now we are leaning toward electrical,” Lane said as to the cause of the fire. “They’ve got some damage, a fair amount of damage, but it’s all interior and mostly smoke damage.”

Lane said his department was dispatched at 6:43 p.m. and arrived on scene and could see smoke coming from the house, but after using only 100 gallons of water the fire was extinguished within minutes.

“The biggest thing was that she was home at the time and she had working alarms,” Lane said. “October is awareness month for checking your smoke detector batteries. It could have been a lot worse had those alarms not been operational.”

Stanton Community Fire Department, Michigan State Police and Montcalm Life EMS assisted on scene.

About the Author
Follow Us
Rate this Article
VN:R_U [1.9.10_1130]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)