Fire destroys Ferris Township mobile home


By Mike Taylor • Last Updated 3:36 pm on Tuesday, October 30, 2012

FERRIS TOWNSHIP — Firefighters from Crystal Township and Richland Township battled a blaze at a mobile home for several hours early this morning, but the contents and home itself were a complete loss.

According to Richland Township Fire Chief Calvin Callison, the fire was likely caused by a wood burning stove at the residence, located on Hillis Road in Ferris Township east of Crystal.

“They (the home’s occupants) woke up and the living room was totally on fire,” Callison said.“They acted quickly and got themselves out.”

Callison added that the people living in the trailer were in the process of moving into a doublewide mobile home located on the same plot of land. However, most of their belongings were still in the mobile home that burned.

Firefighters were called to the scene around 7 a.m. and didn’t finish until around noon.

“We had Crystal help us with water and manpower,” Callison said.

Callison added that area volunteer fire departments rely heavily on the cooperation of local business owners.

“We really want to thank some of the employers in the area that let our firefighters take off when they need to,” Callison said. “They’ve got to know they’re appreciated.”

About the Author
Follow Us
Rate this Article
VN:R_U [1.9.10_1130]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)