Woodstove believed to have caused Lakeview area fire


By Kelli Ameling • Last Updated 10:54 am on Wednesday, December 19, 2012

HINTON TOWNSHIP — Extensive fire damage along with smoke and water damage has left a Lakeview family trying to figure out what to do.

The Lakeview District Fire Department was dispatched to 10905 W. North County Line Road on Dec. 12 for a structure fire. Fire Chief Patrick Q. Carr said when they arrived on scene, the fire was through the roof.

“We were able to contain it and knock it down,” Carr said.

The one-story single-family home, owned by Carolyn Petree, received a lot of damage, but was not considered a total loss, according to Carr.

“There is about a 10-by-10 hole in the roof,” he said, noting some of the items in the house are salvageable, but most of the items were smoke and water damaged.

The fire is believed to have been caused by the woodstove. No one was hurt during the fire.

“The owner did not have insurance,” Carr said.

He contacted the Red Cross to assist the family.

The Maple Valley Township Fire Department and Montcalm County Emergency Medical Services assisted at the scene.

Petree could not be reached for comment.

About the Author
Follow Us
Rate this Article
VN:R_U [1.9.10_1130]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)