Greenville woman loses everything in house fire


By Kelli Ameling • Last Updated 11:27 am on Wednesday, January 30, 2013

OAKFIELD TOWNSHIP — After losing everything in a house fire a week ago, a benefit account at a local bank has been set up to help out a Greenville woman.

Oakfield Township Fire Department was dispatched at about 3:45 p.m. Wednesday to 10830 Podunk Ave. NE, near 13 Mile Road and Lincoln Lake Avenue.

According to WZZM 13, homeowner Teresa McKenzie had placed a space heater under her home to help thaw out pipes that had frozen.

Within 10 minutes her home was fully involved.

However, both McKenzie and her two cats were able to make it out.

Charlane Bathurst, McKenzie’s sister, said a benefit has been set up in McKenzie’s name at Isabella Bank to help her get back on her feet.

“She ran with the shoes on her feet, the clothes on her back and her purse,” Bathurst said. “She lost everything.”

McKenzie was not covered by insurance.

Sue Hansen, AVP branch manager of Isabella Bank in Greenville, said the benefit account has been set up and anyone can donate at any Isabella Bank.

“People can choose to make the donation as anonymous if they would like,” Hansen said. “Anyone wanting to donate just has to come into an office.”

Clothing and other items also may be donated dropping them off at Lighthouse Bookkeeping and Tax on W. Washington next to Builders Glass.

Bathurst said McKenzie’s daughters also are working on putting together a benefit to help her out.

About the Author
Follow Us
Rate this Article
VN:R_U [1.9.10_1130]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)