Vestaburg home saved from garage fire


By Kelli Ameling • Last Updated 8:58 am on Monday, May 06, 2013

RICHLAND TOWNSHIP — A Vestaburg home was saved after a fire spread from a nonattached garage on the property on Saturday afternoon.

Richland Township Fire Chief Calvin Callison said the department was dispatched at 4:27 p.m. to a report of a garage on fire on North Douglas Road.

“You could see the fire from M-66,” Callison said.

He said the fire from the garage was so hot it caught the roof of a mobile home on fire that was near the garage, but not attached.

“We saved the mobile home, but the garage was a total loss,” he said, noting the home had extensive water damage, but not fire damage.

Callison said no one was hurt in the fire. Firefighters were on the scene for about three hours.

Richland Township Fire Department was assisted by Home Township Fire Department. The departments used about 16,000 gallons of water to extinguish the fires.

Callison said both fire departments had a busy day as they had both just returned from extinguishing a brush fire on Evergreen Lane that started at 11:25 a.m. He said that fire had started from fireworks and it took about 10,000 gallons to extinguish the blaze.

About the Author
Follow Us
Rate this Article
VN:R_U [1.9.10_1130]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)