AUDIO: Three phone call recordings from Greenville child abuse case

By Elisabeth Waldon • Last Updated 1:15 pm on Friday, May 17, 2013

The Daily News has obtained three telephone call recordings from a Greenville child abuse case via the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).

Samantha Slater and Benjamin Wilkins, both 26 and both of Greenville, were each charged with first-degree and second-degree child abuse of Slater’s 2-year-old daughter Brooklyn Weimer, who has been hospitalized in intensive care with severe abdominal and head injuries since March 24.

Charges were dismissed against Slater on Thursday. Wilkins is still awaiting trial.

Listen to the phone calls here and/or read a summary of the recordings below (warning: recordings contain some profanity).

The first link contains two phone call recordings, while the second link contains one phone call recording. Click on the link and then click on the picture of the musical note to hear the recording.


Hospital calls Central Dispatch & Central Dispatch calls Ben

Ben Wilkins calls 911


Phone call from hospital to Central Dispatch

8:37 p.m. Sunday, March 24

An employee at Spectrum Health United Hospital in Greenville called Montcalm County Central Dispatch, saying she just received a call she’s “a little concerned about.” The hospital employee said a man called to report his friend “jumping off a roof” and was “unconscious, but breathing.”

“He was like, I don’t know what to do, and I’m like, you need to hang up the phone and call 911,” the hospital employee said.


8:38 p.m. Sunday, March 24

Phone call from Central Dispatch to Benjamin Wilkins

A 911 operator called the number provided to her by the hospital employee to ask about the incident. A man who identified himself as “Ben” answered the phone. He admitted to having called the hospital, but told the operator his friend didn’t jump off a roof, but “the wind got knocked out of him” while the two men were “messing around.”

“You pretty much put somebody, you know, uh, you grab their head and they’re, like, looking up and you drop down and we were messing around and his back must have did something cos it, like, it hit him pretty hard and he, like, gasped for air and then he was just out,” Ben said. “I didn’t know what to do so I panicked, so I called, but he’s up now. Like he was breathing and everything and he’s fine, but he just wouldn’t get up. My friends were like, oh, don’t call 911, don’t call 911, you’ll end up getting us all in trouble, he’ll be fine, you’ve never been around somebody who’s been knocked out before? I’m like, no, I’ve never been around anybody who’s been knocked out before.”

The 911 operator asked if she should send an ambulance to the residence.

“No, he’s fine,” Ben replied. “He just got knocked out. He’s fine. They’re outside smoking a cigarette right now. Should he be smoking?”

The operator encouraged Ben to call an ambulance if he had any concerns about his friend.

“Is there anything we should do?” Ben asked.

The operator encouraged Ben to take his friend to the hospital to get checked out. The operator again offered to send an ambulance.

“I’ve been told not to call 911 unless it’s an emergency.” Ben told the operator.

The operator again encouraged Ben to take his friend to the hospital or request an ambulance.

“Is there anything else I should tell him?” Ben asked.

The operator again encouraged Ben to take his friend to the hospital or request an ambulance.

“Is there anything else?” Ben asked.

The operator told him to check with the hospital.


Phone call from Benjamin Wilkins to 911

9:02 p.m. Sunday, March 24

A man identifying himself as Ben Wilkins called 911 to request an ambulance.

“We just have a problem with our 2-year-old … my girlfriend’s daughter,” he stated. “She’s not responding, she’s not waking up …

“We’re trying to wake her up …

“Her breathing is normal … she’s just not waking up.”

The 911 operator put Wilkins on hold so an ambulance could be dispatched to the residence.

A silence went by while Wilkins was on hold, and then, “They put me on (expletive) hold,” Wilkins said to someone else in the home.

Another pause.

“She said they’re getting a hold of their ambulance people right now or whatever,” Wilkins said to someone else in the home. “Is she breathing still?”

A woman responded: “She’s breathing, I can’t get her to …”

The operator came back on the line and asked Wilkins how long the child has been like this. Wilkins replied, “About 10 minutes.”

The operator asked, “Did she fall or anything?”

Wilkins replied, “I believe that’s what happened. She went to timeout and she doesn’t stay in timeout … I put her potty in there with her …”

The operator asked, “What do you think happened?”

Wilkins replied, “I don’t know. I went in there and when I went in there she, she had, like, puke coming out of her nose and her mouth and I didn’t know what to do, so, and she, she wasn’t responding but she was breathing so I was just like oh (expletive) … She was in the bathroom .. because she don’t stay anywhere else … there’s pee all over the floor. I cleaned up the pee and I tried to put her, like, I tried to get her to wake up, I cleaned her up and everything, put her in the bathtub with cold water, trying to wake her up, didn’t work, so …”

Officers then arrived at the scene, so the phone call ended.

About the Author
Follow Us
Rate this Article
VN:R_U [1.9.10_1130]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)