EUREKA TOWNSHIP — A man was transported to a Grand Rapids hospital Wednesday afternoon after suffering burns when a fire started in a garage where he was working.
The Greenville Department of Public Safety was dispatched at 3:33 p.m. to 6267 Johnson Road on the report of a structure fire.
According to property owner Gloria Seabolt, the garage was used to repair items — like motorcycles — under the name of US & K Garage Cycle. Seabolt said John Grummet and others were inside the garage welding when the garage caught fire.
Grummet sustained injuries from the fire.
“He was taken to (Grand Rapids) with severe burns,” Seabolt said. “He will be OK. He was walking and talking before he left.”
As of this morning, Grummet was still receiving treatment at Spectrum Health Butterworth Hospital in Grand Rapids.
According to Greenville Department of Public Safety Officer Wayne Dillon, the contents of the garage made it hard to put out the fire. Also, getting water to the scene was difficult because of the location of the garage on a long driveway that firetrucks had to back down.
“Excessive damage was done to the building,” said Dillon, noting firefighters were still working to put out the fire and could not yet determine it as a total loss.
Gloria and Don Seabolt had insurance on the building.
Assisting Greenville were Montcalm Township, Belding and Oakfield Township fire departments along with Montcalm County Emergency Medical Services. Dillon said the need for water was strong, therefore multiple departments were called in to help get water to the scene.
Johnson Road from Harlow to Wise roads was shut down for a couple hours while the departments worked to put out the blaze.
Although most responders cleared the scene at about 7:30 p.m., Dillon said fire investigators will be at the scene today to continue the investigation.