Motorist alerts sleeping residents of Carson City house fire

By Cory Smith • Last Updated 12:49 pm on Tuesday, August 06, 2013


Firefighters from the Carson City Fire Department were dispatched to a house fire at 8915 S. Garlock Road near Carson City at 9:04 a.m. this morning. — Daily News/Cory Smith


BLOOMER TOWNSHIP — Firefighters extinguished a house fire Monday morning after a motorist spotted a burning mattress against the side of the home and then alerted the sleeping residents inside.

Firefighters from the Carson City Fire Department were dispatched to 8915 S. Garlock Road at 9:04 a.m. and arrived on scene at 9:12 a.m. to find that the mattress had been moved from house and was smoldering in the yard. Fire had damaged the side of the house, but no flames were showing.

Carson City Fire Chief Dan Kipp said the fire was extinguished before it could spread to the inside of the home. The blaze did result in damage to the exterior siding and interior drywall of the home. Kipp said the cause of the fire is still undetermined, but not suspicious.

“We’re still investigating the cause of the fire,” Kipp said. “Structurally, the building is fine. It needs some cosmetic patch up work, but it should be OK. There was a little damage to the drywall inside the house as well.”

According to Kipp, a passing motorist on Garlock Road spotted the fire, stopped to call 911 and checked to see if anyone was inside the home.

Inside the home at the time was Lindsey Figueroa, her three children, ages 2, 1 and 3 months old, along with Figueroa’s cousin, Dale Dolezal, all of whom were asleep at the time.

A passing motorist spotted this burning mattress as it was laying up against the side of a house at 8915 S. Garlock Road in Bloomer Township. The fire was quickly extinguished and no one was injured. — Daily News/Cory Smith

Dolezal said he awoke to a knocking sound.

“We were sleeping and then somebody knocked on the window and then the door,” he said. “He told me the house was on fire.”

Dolezal woke Figueroa, who said firefighters were on scene when she began exiting the home.

Less than 200 gallons of water was used to quickly extinguish the small fire before it managed to burn into the interior of the home.

“There’s a little hole in the wall where (the firefighters) poked through, but the fire didn’t get inside, thank God,” Figueroa said.

The home is co-owned by Figueroa’s grandmother, Nancy Wilson, who lives at the home, and William Joppie of Perrinton.

The Crystal Township Fire Department assisted on scene.

About the Author
Follow Us
Rate this Article
VN:R_U [1.9.10_1130]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)