STANTON — Central Montcalm Public School Superintendent Kristie Teall explained Wednesday night’s school board meeting as one that wasn’t “warm and fuzzy.”
Five school board members met in four executive sessions during the two and a half hour meeting, with only 35 minutes conducted in open session.
The closed session discussion involved two student expulsions, one grievance hearing and one termination.
“They were not the kinds of issues you like,” Teall summarized.
Attorneys for the school district, along with Central Montcalm Educational Support Personnel Association representatives and head mechanic Mark Kimball, spent nearly 50 minutes with the school board regarding a grievance complaint from support staff. The school board then reconvened in open session to unanimously deny the grievance.
The board then met privately with a 17-year-old male student and his family concerning the high school junior’s involvement in an assault on another student. The on-campus law enforcement officer was a key player in stopping the assault and also was included in the executive session meeting.
After reconvening, the board unanimously approved 180 days of expulsion, in accordance with state mandates. After the 180 days is complete, the student may return to the board to request reinstatement for his senior year of school.
“We would hope he would request reinstatement,” said President Roxanne Switzer.
The second disciplinary hearing involved a high school female, who was in attendance with her parents as well. The board, upon reconvening, unanimously voted to expel the student for the remainder of the school year for possession of a controlled substance.
The final closed session involved discussion of whether to fire bus driver Peggy Kawalec.
Following the closed session, the board reconvened once again and unanimously voted to end Kawalec’s contract due to alleged misconduct while on duty, according to Teall.
Also at Wednesday night’s meeting, the school board:
• Approved hiring Alan Dawe as the JV basketball coach.
• Approved hiring Sheri Jeffrey as an assistant cook.
• Approved hiring Cheryl Ellis as a cook’s helper.
• Approved hiring Jennifer Ellis as a paraprofessional.
• Approved hiring of Millie King as a paraprofessional.
• Approved hiring Michelle Willmore as a paraprofessional.
• Approved hiring Lore Brace as a cook’s helper.
• Approved a stipend for the acting director of transportation.
• Approved hiring Tracy Kava as a part-time custodian.
• Approved hiring Philip Kava as a part-time custodian.
• Approved hiring Kari Skinner as a part-time custodian.
• Approved accepting Alan Dawe’s resignation as Quiz Bowl coach.
• Approved the appointment of a representative to the White Pine District Library in Stanton due to the district library agreement.