Crystal Township home damaged in fire, dog resuscitated


By Curtis Wildfong • Last Updated 8:21 pm on Friday, January 10, 2014

CRYSTAL TOWNSHIP — A modular home near Duck Lake was nearly destroyed in a Friday morning fire that required three fire departments to extinguish.

Crystal Township Fire Chief Lonny Fitzpatrick said the fire at 9231 E. Colby Road is believed to have started outside the home where a heat lamp over a dog kennel was too close to the siding. The fire call came in around 11:40 a.m.

“It got too close to the siding and then it went up the siding and into the eaves and then into the attic,” Fitzpatrick said.

Firefighters from Crystal Township, Carson City and Richland Township fire departments were able to limit most of the severe damage to a bathroom and two bedrooms on one side of the home.

The owners, a couple in their late 20s according to Fitzpatrick, were not home at the time. Fitzpatrick did not know the names of the residents.

Two dogs were in the home’s attached garage, but were saved by firefighters.

One of the pets, which had been exposed to heavy smoke, was resuscitated by a Crystal Township firefighter, who used his own gas mask to place over the dog’s mouth for oxygen, according to Fitzpatrick. Montcalm County Emergency Medical Service personnel then used an oxygen mask to help save the dog.

Crews were on scene fighting the fire for about three hours.

About the Author
Follow Us
Rate this Article
VN:R_U [1.9.10_1130]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)