Douglass Township home destroyed by fire


Posted by Cory Smith • Last Updated 10:14 am on Friday, January 10 2014

A fire believed to have started in a chimney destroyed a Douglass Township home at 4352 W. Briggs Road Thursday evening. All residents and pets escaped the home safely as five fire departments worked several hours trying to save the home. — Daily News/Cory Smith

 

DOUGLASS TOWNSHIP — Five fire departments worked together for several hours Thursday evening in attempt to save a large two-story home, but the challenges of extinguishing the fire proved to be too great in the end.

The Stanton Community Fire Department was dispatched to 4352 W. Briggs Road at 4:35 p.m. to respond to a structure fire with a report that the fire had started in a spare bedroom in the home.

Flames were seen shooting through the roof of the residence at 4352 W. Briggs Road Thursday evening as firefighters worked to extinguish the blaze. — Daily News/Cory Smith

According to Montcalm County Central Dispatch, all occupants of the home, including pets, made it out of the home safely as it began to fill with smoke.

The home is owned by Jim and Karen Bowers.

“They think it started in the chimney,” the dispatcher said when reporting the call to the department.

Firefighters driving engine 1 arrived on scene at 4:55 p.m. and reported “show us on scene, two-story structure, smoke coming from the eves.”

While in route, firefighters called for mutual aid from the Montcalm Township and Day Township fire departments.

Once on scene, additional aid was eventually called in from the Lakeview District and Home Township fire departments for more manpower and tankers.

Tankers began filling and transporting water from the Flat River a mile away on Miller Road.

According to Kayla Bowers, the daughter-in-law of Jim and Karen, the home appears to be a total loss.

Five fire departments worked together Thursday evening to provide water collected by tankers from the nearby Flat River. — Daily News/Cory Smith

“Everyone is out, even the animals — looks like a total loss,” she said via the Daily News Facebook page Thursday evening. “Thanks for all the prayers. Please keep the firemen in your prayers as well they are working very hard to get it out but it just keeps starting up.”

Kayla Bowers added that the family had owned the home for the last 26 years.

Calls made to the Stanton Community Fire Department inquiring about the fire were not returned before deadline this morning.

The Montcalm County Sheriff’s office and Montcalm County EMS assisted on scene.

About the Author
Follow Us
Rate this Article
VN:R_U [1.9.10_1130]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)