GREENVILLE — In life there are highs and lows, ups and downs — and strikes and gutters.
Organizations like Big Brothers Big Sisters (BBBS) of Montcalm County are trying to brighten the days of some of the county’s children in need by offering a mentor, and on March 8, the group will be hosting a “Bowl for Kids’ Sake” fundraiser at Greenville Lanes to raise money for programs in the county.
“It’s the flagship fundraiser for Big Brother Big Sister nationwide,” said Suzanne Derry, BBBS executive director.
The money raised at the event, which has an annual goal of $10,000, will benefit children of Montcalm County exclusively, she added. With 35 children currently a part of the program, Derry said the money raised will go a long ways in providing them with care and mentorship they may otherwise go without.
“So many of our kids don’t have that,” Derry said. “We want to show them different experiences. Some of these kids don’t even know what it’s like to sit down and have a dinner.
“We want to see children thrive.”
The March 8 event, which begins at 1 p.m., asks participants to collect pledges to “sponsor” their bowling. The minimum pledge is $30 to bowl, but the more earned in pledges, the greater the chance the bowler can earn one of the day’s many prizes.
Pledge goals are:
• $35 — receive a Bowl for Kids’ Sake T-shirt
• $50 — receive a T-shirt and be entered into a drawing for the grand prize, which is donated by Millard’s Furniture and Appliance of Stanton
• $100 — receive a T-shirt, entry into the grand prize drawing and a BBBS retro clock
• $150 — receive all of the above, three entries into the grand prize drawing and either two bowling passes or one movie pass to Neighborhood Cinemas
• $200-plus — receive everything listed above and also a BBBS “Kooler” or beach towel
The team raising the most money will receive dinner at Applebee’s.
The individual raising the most money will receive a $50 gift card to Meijer and a $25 gift certificate to Winter Inn.
The youth participant raising the most money will receive a $50 gift card donated by Firstbank of Lakeview and a $50 gift card to Meijer.
The business or organization raising the most money will receive a plaque.
For more information or to register to bowl, call BBBS at (616) 225-1515.