JUST IN: Dryer fire quickly extinguished in Greenville


Posted by Cory Smith • Last Updated 5:56 pm on Monday, April 14 2014

Firefighters with the Greenville Department of Public Safety respond to a dryer fire at 813 E. Summit St. Monday afternoon in Greenville. — Daily News/Cory Smith

GREENVILLE — A fire that began in a clothes dryer was quickly extinguished this afternoon, preventing any damage to the home.

Resident Jack Perry said he was home doing laundry when he smelled something burning and called 911 at approximately 4:45 p.m. Officers and firefighters with the Greenville Department of Public Safety then responded to the residence at 813 E. Summit St.

Firefighters with the Greenville Department of Public Safety remove a burning clothes dryer from a residence at 813 E. Summit St. Monday afternoon in Greenville. — Daily News/Cory Smith

According to Officer Marty Obetts, the cause of the fire was quickly pinpointed to the dryer when firefighters arrived on scene. Within minutes, firefighters removed the dryer, still smoking, from the home.

“We responded to a report of smoke in the house,” he said. “We were able to locate the dryer, remove it, and quickly extinguish the fire.”

Obetts said the quick response time of the officers and firefighters likely helped prevent any further damage to the home.

“Dryer fires are a serious concern,” he said. “Lint build up can cause a fire and that can spread to the gas line. It was definitely a good find, and fortunately we found it quickly before it could spread.”

No one was injured on scene.

 

About the Author
Follow Us
Rate this Article
VN:R_U [1.9.10_1130]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)