HOWARD CITY — Montcalm County’s Household Hazardous Waste Day will be from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, June 21, at the Howard City Municipal Building at 125 E. Shaw St.
Materials that can be recycled include:
• Automotive products (antifreeze, gasoline or other fuel, carburetor cleaner, motor oil, fuel additive, starter fluid, transmission and brake fluid, wax and cleaners and other automotive fluids)
• Cleaning products (bleach, degreaser and spot remover, drain cleaner, oven cleaner, polish and wax, toilet and drain cleaner, wood and metal cleaners and polish, ammonia)
• Computer components and accessories (circuit boards, computers, docking stations and routers, hard drives, internal and external disk drives, keyboards and mice, modems, monitors, networking equipment, PDAs such as Blackberrys, Palm Pilots and iPhones, power cords, cables and wires, printers and scanners, servers and server racks, speakers, tape back-ups and UPS battery back-ups)
• Electronic items (air cleaners and humidifiers, answering machines, batteries, cell phones, copiers, DVD players and VCRs, fax machines, gaming systems, GPS units, iPods and MP3 players, ink and toner cartridges, microwaves, non-hazardous medical equipment, electric power tools, projectors, radios, stereos and CD players, telephone systems, televisions and various media (floppy disks, CDs, DVDs and memory sticks)
• Flammable products (diesel fuel, gas/oil mix, home heating oil, kerosene, lighter fluid, white gas)
• Indoor pesticides (insect spray, flea repellant and shampoo, houseplant fertilizer, moth repellant, mouse and rat poison, other pesticides and fertilizers)
• Lawn and garden products (fertilizer, fungicide, herbicide, insecticide, pesticide, wood preservation, ant dust, mosquito spray)
• Workshop and painting supplies (oil-based paint and stain, adhesive, caulking and glue, deck, patio and chimney cleaner, furniture stripper, paint stripper and remover, solvent cleaning fluid, roof coating and sealant, thinner and turpentine)
• Miscellaneous (batteries, fire extinguishers, fluorescent light bulbs, inks and dyes, mercury thermostats or thermometers, photo developer chemicals and pool chemicals)
New items being accepted this year also include barrels and large drums, latex-based paint, medical waste (needles must be in sealed and puncture-resistant containers), propane, helium and other tanks and smoke detectors.
Materials that cannot be accepted for recycling include air conditioners, ammunition, asbestos, dehumidifiers, explosives, fireworks, flares, refrigerators and radioactive materials.
Tires can be recycled for $1 per passenger/light truck with tires up to 19 inches. Have the tires off the rim. Tire limit of 12 per customer. No tractor or airplane tires will be accepted.
Call the Montcalm County Controller’s Office at (989) 831-7300 or visit montcalm.org for more information.