Cigarette starts bedroom fire in Howard City


Posted by Elisabeth Waldon • Last Updated 2:27 pm on Wednesday, January 18 2012

REYNOLDS TOWNSHIP — A smoldering cigarette likely started a fire in the bedroom of a Howard City home Monday evening.
The Howard City Fire Department responded to a home at Kyle Ann Court and Tamarack Drive at Tamarack Pine Estates at 5:52 p.m.
Howard City Fire Chief Randy Heckman said the bedroom of the house was on fire when firefighters arrived.
“We got there and knocked it down and just contained it to the bedroom area,” he said.
Heckman thinks a cigarette caused the fire, as the mattress had caught on fire first. The mattress likely smoldered while family members were in another room.
Heckman said a mother and her children are renting the home.
Firefighters cleared the scene about an hour after the blaze.

About the Author
Follow Us
Rate this Article
VN:F [1.9.10_1130]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)