By Kelli Ameling and Cory Smith
EUREKA TOWNSHIP – An elderly couple has lost their home as a fire that started in their garage spread through the house and consumed the home in a matter of minutes.
The Greenville Department of Public Safety was dispatched to 10325 Stakes Road in Eureka Township at about 7:45 p.m. tonight after neighbors saw smoke and fire coming from the home and called 911.
The homeowners, 92-year-old Vern and Peggy Wheeler, 80, were rescued from their home just before the fire consumed the house.
“They almost didn’t make it out,” said Greg Ackley, a neighbor to the Wheelers.
For the complete story, check Thursday’s edition of The Daily News or www.thedailynews.cc, later.