Stafford Media Solutions wants to provide a forum at www.thedailynews.cc where readers can talk to us and to each other about local issues in a civil manner. The best comments and posts are those that add more information to the story, express a different viewpoint or help create intelligent debate.
We encourage everyone who registers on our site to use their real name, or at least a consistent screen name. Multiple accounts for the same person are prohibited. All of our users must enter a valid email address. We will ask to confirm your email address to complete the signup process.
• Off-topic comments
• Personal attacks against other individuals
• Insensitivity to crime or accident victims
• Presuming people are guilty before it is proven in a court of law
• Using tragedies to make a political point
• Posting personal information about individuals
• Racist, sexist and offensive language, including abbreviated or masked swearing
• Posting in all capital letters
• Breaking copyright law
• Commercial postings and press releases. Click on the “Submit News” button instead.
Comment moderation process:
Throughout the day, The Daily News staff will moderate comments using the above guidelines. Keep in mind we are a very small staff and often will not be able to respond quickly. Once a commenter has posted two staff-approved comments, their comments will appear immediately from then on. A commenter may be returned to pre-approve status or blocked entirely if our guidelines are abused.
In most cases, comments are post-moderated. After a comment is posted, a moderator reviews it and decides whether to keep or block it.
Readers can give comments a “thumbs up” and “thumbs down.” Comments that receive three thumbs down will be hidden from the conversation, but still available if you click on it. This is a way for users to self moderate comments.
Occasionally, we will shut down comments on a story. This would happen when the comment thread devolves very quickly and was filled with comments that violated our guidelines from the start.