Flames coming from a Montcalm Township home’s wall on Saturday turned out to be a small, controllable fire. At 12:56 p.m., Montcalm Township Fire Department firefighters were dispatched to a house fire on S. Greenville Road. The homeowners called after observing flames coming from the outside wall of their home.
Riders of the Greenville Transit System are going to have to dig a little deeper to ride the buses in the near future. However, riders should rest assured the increase in fares is going to land in a good spot: The drivers’ pockets.
Residents rang in a joyous New Year over the weekend at the Greenville High School Performing Arts Center. The Chinese New Year, that is. Although the official Chinese New Year was Feb. 19, the Chinese Immersion Program students and staff at Walnut Hills Elementary School presented “Year of the Sheep: Chinese New Year Gala” last Saturday.
Two Greenville businesses are planning on expanding in the near future.
Spectrum Health United Hospital and the Mobil gas station at Clay and Washington streets have submitted site plans and applications for expansion of facilities. However, both expansions are raising some zoning concerns for the Greenville Planning Commission.
Once again, a string of structure fires burned through Montcalm County throughout the weekend. The weekend started with a mobile home fire south of Lakeview Friday. Then Saturday struck with a morning house fire in Howard City followed by a lunchtime structure fire northeast of Howard City. Later on Saturday, a Crystal dumpster fire was called in followed by house that burned southeast of Crystal. On Sunday, a pump house just east of Crystal also went up in flames.
Normally watching a fifth grade student wield a scalpel over a prone body stretched out on a table is a cause for concern. Yet, at Baldwin Heights Elementary School on Thursday, the practice was encouraged.
The Daily News is a finalist for eight Associated Press Media Editors (APME) newspaper awards for content produced in 2014.
Whether it is for hockey, fishing, snowmobiling or any sort of winter sport, those who venture onto the ice during the winter months face inherent danger. Frost bite. Hypothermia. Death. All of these can and do happen once someone breaks through the ice.
With 56 miles of city streets to plow, the Greenville Public Services Department is ready for winter to pass on by. “In a perfect world, the weather man would say we’re getting 2 inches of snow,” Public Services Department Director Tom Pollock said. “It’d be done by midnight. We’d start at 2 in the morning and get it cleaned up, but we all know that isn’t how it works.”
All remnants of Meijer are fading from the north side of Greenville.