A child abuse court hearing was adjourned again today after a witness passed out while testifying on the stand in 64B District Court. Samantha Slater and Benjamin Wilkins, both 26 and both of Greenville, are each charged with first-degree and second-degree child abuse of Slater’s 2-year-old daughter Brooklyn Weimer.
Mark Christensen hasn’t seen flooding like this since 1986. The managing director of the Road Commission for Montcalm County and his crew were out all day and night Thursday and are continuing to work today to re-open about 16 roads that have been closed due to high waters. “It’s been challenging, to say the least,” Christensen said. “We have numerous roads closed around the county due to culvert failure and heavy rains. There’s high water everywhere you look.”
When Jeramy Duffield crossed the finish line at the Boston Marathon, he got a little teary-eyed. “It’s every runner’s dream to cross the finish line at the Boston Marathon,” he said. Just moments after, Jeramy and his wife, Tiffany, both of Greenville, experienced strong emotions of another sort.
From the opening note of the first performance to the final wave of the director’s baton, this year’s 24th annual Greenville High School Collage Concert is offering up a variety of musical performances that will make it difficult to walk away picking out a single favorite act.
Andrew Ashley saved his great-grandmother’s life Monday morning. Andrew, 10, and his sister Alaina, 8, were dropped off at Karen Wilcox’s home around 7:30 a.m. to wait for the bus to Baldwin Heights Elementary School. Wilcox had taken a new medication about half an hour earlier and she was feeling itchy all over. She sat down in the living room with her grandchildren who were watching cartoons. She looked down at her arm and noticed she had scratched it so much it was bleeding. “I was looking at Andrew and he was looking at me and then everything went black,” Wilcox recalled.
A group of about 75 people consisting mainly of family and close friends showed their support at a candlelight vigil Wednesday night for a young girl clinging to life.
A Greenville family was saved after a neighbor noticed fire near the garage of the home late Monday night. At about 10:58 p.m., the Greenville Department of Public Safety was called for a house fire at 623 E. Washington Street Monday. Carla and Barry Nye were getting ready for bed when Carla Nye noticed a small fire in the garbage can near the garage of the house that sits behind their property.
Blame it on the president, fears of a coming zombie apocalypse or a public easily influenced by Facebook rumors; for one reason or another, ammunition is getting hard to find, both locally and across the nation.
A Friday morning blaze was the fifth house fire for the DeGram family and is now under investigation by the state fire marshal. The Sheridan Community Fire Department was dispatched at 8:47 a.m. to 1680 W. Boyer Road in Fenwick. The house was a total loss.
When cook Cathy Patterson arrived for her morning shift at The Other Place bar and restaurant around 8:40 a.m. Friday, as she normally does as the first employee to arrive, she didn’t anticipate walking in through an opened and unlocked door. Patterson walked into the restaurant at 609 N. Lafayette St. only to find that the establishment had been broken into, with contents from the cash drawer and safe missing.