’Tis the season for caring and there is no shortage of good deeds at Belding Middle School. Students in Diane Kuhn’s sixth grade class have spent the last 12 school days trying to rack up as many good deeds and kind acts as they could before holiday break, which kicks off on Wednesday.
For the past couple years, Emaleigh Taylor has been knocking out home runs at Central Montcalm steadily. Now she hopes to continue doing the same for the Calvin College Knights at the Division III level.
Calvin Syrjala was getting looked at by a couple of Division 1 college baseball teams. Instead, Syrjala decided community college is the way to go, signing a letter of intent last week to play for Grand Rapids Community College (GRCC).
Residents of Sheridan may see another transformation of the old Carnation milk condensery site next year. Kathy Jo VanderLaan, who is Montcalm County’s business development coordinator with The Right Place, said the grant is two steps away from being closed out.
Read The Daily News Funeral Notices for Tuesday, Dec. 20, 2016
After months of hearing from members of the community and outsiders to the community, the Belding Board of Education came to a decision about the Redskins mascot Monday evening.
he Howard City Village Council dealt with the final business of the year in a drama-free 29-minute meeting Monday night.
The Montcalm County Board of Commissioners took action on multiple agenda items during their last regular meeting of 2016.
There weren’t as many teams as expected that showed up at Belding’s wrestling invitational Saturday, however, there was no lack of the level of competition. Lowell’s B team went 5-0 in what turned out to be a round robin tournament, owing to five teams unable to show up because of Friday night’s snow storm. That left five other teams competing on the day.
Teaming up with the American Red Cross, four local fire departments are on a mission to ensure all its residents have working smoke detectors. Montcalm Township, Belvidere Township, Maple Valley Township and Lakeview District fire departments have agreed to install smoke detectors provided by the American Red Cross in their residents’ homes.