Latest Headlines

dnlogo

FUNERAL NOTICES — March 30, 2013

Funeral notices for Saturday, March 30, 2013

dnlogo

Greenville Area Chamber of Commerce funds missing, employee fired

A longtime Greenville Area Chamber of Commerce employee has been fired after it was discovered funds of $10,000 or more were missing. According to Candy Kerschen and Gae Wolfe, both of whom work as co-executive directors, an irregularity was discovered in the Chamber books during a financial review Thursday.

dnlogo

Montcalm County employee pleads guilty to drunk and disorderly

Montcalm County employee has pleaded guilty as charged after an altercation with another employee at the county Christmas party last year.

dnlogo

Greenville working to allow outdoor displays

After a business owner was turned down due to ordinance regulations when he requested to display his products in front of his building, the Greenville Planning Commission is discussing ways to work with business owners on outdoor displays. Last fall, the Planning Commission was asked by Barn Cats owner Randy Mouw to display his products in front of his building while displaying vehicles and trailers on occasion at 1100 N. Irving St. in Greenville.

A-squared Theatre and Auction Hall in Orleans Township donates 3 percent of auction sales to local schools throughout Ionia and Montcalm counties. — Daily News/Elisabeth Waldon

Orleans Township auction house giving back to local schools

Opening a new business is seldom easy in tough economic times, but a recently opened auction house in Orleans Township is aiming to make a profit while also doing what it can to give back to local schools. The owners of A-squared Theatre and Auction Hall, an indoor heated auction and special events venue at 7500 N. State Road (M-66) just 1.5 miles north of M-44, have set a goal to give 3 percent of total purchases made at their auctions to any local school at the buyers’ request.

loc 0330 ka Boyer Fire2

Fenwick house fire being investigated as ‘suspicious’

A Friday morning blaze was the fifth house fire for the DeGram family and is now under investigation by the state fire marshal. The Sheridan Community Fire Department was dispatched at 8:47 a.m. to 1680 W. Boyer Road in Fenwick. The house was a total loss.

Gerald Marsh

Belding teenager charged after high-speed car chase

Gerald Marsh, 17, of Belding, has been charged with unlawfully driving away and fleeing and eluding police following a high-speed chase that took place at about 10:10 p.m. Saturday.

dnlogo

Funeral Notices for March 29, 2013

Read The Daily News Funeral Notices for Friday, March 29, 2013

loc 0329 cs JICE Belding Chemical Fire-2

Chemical fire at JICE Pharmaceuticals in Belding contained, no one injured

An afternoon chemical fire at JICE Pharmaceuticals in Belding was extinguished Thursday afternoon with no hazardous threat poised to the community.

Students from Central Michigan University and the University of Michigan spent spring break traveling to Honduras to bring medical and dental supplies to people in need. — Courtesy photo

Greenville grads help Honduras during spring break

After graduating from Greenville Public Schools and going their separate ways to two different universities, two college students reunited to spend their spring break helping others in Honduras. Seth Barker, who attends Central Michigan University (CMU), is president of a new organization on campus called Global Medical Brigades-CMU (GMB-CMU), which is the largest student-led social responsibility movement in the world.