Read The Daily News Funeral Notices for Wednesday, Dec. 14, 2011
The Big Rapids guard tandem of Nick Baldwin and Dario Williams proved to be to much for the Central Montcalm Hornets.
The Central Montcalm Hornets girls basketball team held close with the Big Rapids Cardinals for a half on Tuesday night.
It strikes me as odd that leaders in Lansing herald the virtues of data-driven decision making but press forward with legislation like Senate Bills (SB) 618 and 619. SB 618 lifts the cap on university authorized charters in the state and allows for unfettered expansion in a time when lawmakers urge consolidation.
Court security is safe for three more months. The Montcalm County Board of Commissioners voted unanimously Monday to extend funding court security through the second quarter of the fiscal year — April 1 — for 8th Judicial Circuit Court, 64B District Court and Probate/Juvenile Court, all of which are housed in the judicial complex in Stanton.
Montcalm County voters may have recently been taken on a $10,000 ride. Voters overwhelmingly said “no” on Nov. 8 to a proposed countywide public transportation system millage, dubbed the Montcalm Ride. The request for a new 0.3-mill property tax was shot down 2,842 votes to 1,611 votes, or about 61 to 39 percent.
Around the clock coverage from the Montcalm County Sheriff’s Department could soon be a thing of the past. Sheriff Bill Barnwell told the Eureka Township board Monday night that a 1-mill property tax increase must be approved on Feb. 28 for 24/7 coverage to continue.
The victim of a Nov. 12 shooting at the Flat River Inn & Suites is recovering from his wounds. Greenville Public Safety Director Mike Stuck said Frederick Neal, 24, is improving and he may be discharged soon from an area hospital.
So, you think you can act? Whether you’re a class-act performer on the verge of stardom or a beginner looking for a little fun, the Montcalm Community College (MCC) Drama Club wants to see your talent.
A Lakeview-area home was severely damaged in a Saturday morning fire caused by a pellet stove. The Lakeview District Fire Department responded to a reported deck fire at 11494 Eisenhower Road at 7:45 a.m.