Read the funeral notices for Thursday, August 16, 2012.
The Greenville Downtown Development Authority (DDA) discussed ideas Tuesday about how to develop the downtown area to attract more people.
State officials confirmed the first West Nile case of the year in an unvaccinated Montcalm County horse due to West Nile virus infection. The five-year-old standardbred gelding developed sudden incoordination in the hind limbs and is currently undergoing treatment (supportive care) for West Nile Virus.
The fog burned off just in time for the Montcalm Community College Board of Trustees to see the progress of the new building on the Greenville campus at the old fairgrounds site. Board members met Tuesday for their regular meeting at the Stanley and Blanche Ash Technology and Learning Center, formerly M-TEC, in Greenville so they could take the tour after the meeting.
After a 10-year battle with leukemia with several bouts of chemotherapy, experimental drugs and a bone marrow transplant, Deanna “Dee” Moore of Edmore lost the fight on Feb. 8, 2011.
Read The Daily News Funeral Notices for Wednesday, August 15, 2012
The Centralm Montcalm Green Hornets spent the morning on Tuesday pounding away at each other in live game situations. After today, the Hornets are nine days away from opening up the 2012 regular season and just one day away from their final scrimmage of the preseason.
Nick Lober, who was injured after a large branch fell on his vehicle Friday, is listed in critical condition as of Tuesday afternoon, according to administration at Spectrum Health Butterworth Hospital in Grand Rapids. Lober was traveling northbound on Lincoln Lake Road just south of 14 Mile Road in Oakfield Township when a tree branch fell onto his black Toyota Tundra just before 5 p.m. Friday.
The Central Montcalm Green Hornets will be trying to get back to the football playoffs after missing out a year ago by one victory. They will do so with a tough opening stretch that features Chippewa Hills, Big Rapids and Morley Stanwood in the first four weeks.
The Phillips family was just beginning to enjoy a weekend trip to Kalamazoo when Nicole Phillips received a phone call that no one ever wants or expects to receive. At about 2 p.m. Friday, neighbors spotted smoke coming from the Phillips home at 2545 N. Johnson Road in the Trufant area. Within minutes, flames were shooting through the windows shortly after the Lakeview District Fire Department arrived on scene.