On Thursday, Belding resident George Miller will sit down with his family to enjoy another Thanksgiving feast — just as his forefather Francis Cooke did 390 years ago at the very first Thanksgiving. Dating back 12 generations, George discovered just more than 16 years ago that his bloodline arrived in America at Plymouth, Mass., aboard the Mayflower in 1620.
Some people go all out for the holidays — decorating their homes from floor to ceiling, putting time, money, hard work and more into creating the perfect holiday atmosphere. Some people may be discouraged when it comes to decking their halls and not know how to begin, however.
The Greenville Optimist Club has an annual fund that helps support local organizations to provide Christmas dinner to those in need. The Samaritan Fund was established for the Optimist Club to collect money from Thanksgiving to Christmas and distribute it to local organizations, such as food pantries, that help provide the dinners. The Optimist Club has collected about $3,000 per year and members hope to beat that amount this year.
Love, dedication and care is what went into the remodeling of the Spectrum Health United Hospital Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, formerly named the Long Term Care Unit. Through a generous donation to the Spectrum Health United Memorial Foundation by the late Ray and Mary Tower, Spectrum Health United Hospital in Greenville was able to remodel the center from top to bottom.
Daily News funeral notices for Nov. 25, 2011.
This letter is agreeable with Kenneth Stoll. It’s pitiful that Greenville schools can get brand new football fields, have the big festivals and can’t have yard sale signs out for fear of letting their town look trashy.
Signs of construction are all over Spectrum Health United Hospital a month into a $10 million expansion and renovation project. Many items have already been checked off the list already, according to spokeswoman Jennifer DenOuden. Hospital functions have been rearranged to accommodate the work.
Daily News funeral notices for Nov. 23, 2011
A century-old barn just west of Lakeview burned to the ground Monday night. The owners believe arson is to blame. Lakeview and Maple Valley Township firefighters responded to a fire behind the home of Robert and Ayla Noah at 9648 N. Satterlee Road just north of M-46 at about 8:45 p.m.
Lakeview Fire Chief Patrick Q. Carr, who lives about a mile and a half from the scene, said the barn was fully involved before the call went out.
As Thanksgiving approaches GLC HOPE Ministries looks at all the things we are thankful for this year.